IS YEAST INFECTION NORMAL IN MEN? FIND OUT WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT MEN’S YEAST INFECTIONS HERE.
YEAST INFECTION IN MEN
The uncontrollable growth of healthy fungi in our body can cause infections by disrupting the body’s balance. This is usually done by a fungus called “Candida” which causes yeast infections.
Yeast infections can affect anyone as the fungi that cause infections, live on our skin and can multiply and infect anyone under favourable conditions. Men can also contract yeast infections like thrush, a form of infection that affects the skin and mouth, penile yeast infections and candida balanitis.
Candidal balanitis is the most common diagnosis for men who contract yeast infections. It causes redness and irritation on the tip of the penis and can progress into the foreskin if you are uncircumcised.
HOW CAN YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE A YEAST INFECTION?
Yeast infection symptoms in men are harder to detect as they’re mild or negligible in the beginning but can become very uncomfortable and painful when they do appear. Here are some yeast infection symptoms in men:
- Sores or white shiny patches of skin on the foreskin
- Pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Burning sensation during urination
- Redness around the head of the penis and the skin folds
- Small bumpy rashes that ooze pus
- White, foul smell discharge
- Itchiness or irritation
WHAT CAUSES YEAST INFECTIONS IN MEN?
Here are some common causes for the spread of yeast infection in men:
- Sexual intercourse with an infected person
- Weak immune system
- Excessive use of antibiotics
- Poor hygiene
- Having an uncircumcised penis
- Humid surroundings
- Use of sexual lubricants
- Use of spermicide
If these symptoms don’t seem to disappear after taking medication or any of these symptoms occur repeatedly, you should get a medical consult because it could mean a serious disease as well. Men who are uncircumcised or have high blood sugar are more prone to yeast infections as yeast feed on sugar and proper care and foreskin hygiene can be vital in preventing infections.
ARE YEAST INFECTIONS IN MEN PREVENTABLE?
Yeast infections can be prevented easily by taking some safety measures. Let’s look at some important precautions to take if you want to avoid yeast infections:
- Maintaining proper hygiene is a must if you want to avoid any kind of infection.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes or underwear that make you swelter, wear loose cotton boxers instead of synthetic materials.
- Avoid using bath products that have strong fragrances on your genitalia and wash them with lukewarm water
- Keeping your skin and genitalia dry is an effective way of disrupting fungi growth as fungi need humidity and moisture to grow and multiply
YEAST INFECTION TREATMENT FOR MEN
Most yeast infections in men are easily treatable and are detected soon and taken proper care of. Men who haven’t been treated for yeast infections before should ask for a medical consult before self-medicating or seeking home remedies. Men are usually given anti-fungal cream for mild infections as they can be treated very easily and quickly with anti-fungal ointment alone. If you prefer home remedies over chemical medications, here’s how to get rid of yeast infection in men:
- Apple cider vinegar: A small amount of apple cider vinegar can be added to your bath water and you can soak in the water for about 20-30 minutes to kill all germs and unhealthy fungi.
- Tea tree oil: tea tree oil’s natural antifungal properties are helpful in fighting yeast infections, using diluted tea tree oil on affected areas will get rid of any yeast infections quickly.
- Virgin coconut oil: Using organic virgin coconut oil can treat yeast infections because of its natural anti-fungal properties.
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil is a popular antibacterial and antifungal remedy for all skin infections including yeast infections.
- Probiotics: probiotics intake is necessary to keep the balance in the body when you have a yeast infection, it will help your body gain strength and fight against the infection.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil that is extracted from wild oregano is extremely effective in treating fungal or bacterial infections.
- Cranberry juice: Cranberry is extremely effective when dealing with penile yeast infections. It increases the number of good bacteria in the body that helps your body gain balance and strength to fight against yeast infections.
- Potassium sorbate: Potassium sorbate is a substance used to stop the growth of yeast and is safe to use on the skin if diluted properly. Applying the paste on affected areas can get rid of yeast infections quickly.
Yeast infection in men can be prevented by maintaining proper hygiene, uncircumcised men should be especially careful of intimate hygiene as they are more prone to contracting an infection that could turn into a serious condition. Yeast infections can be treated easily at home using essential oils and other remedies.
We hope this article was helpful and provided you with the information you needed.