CAN YOU HAVE A YEAST INFECTION ON YOUR SKIN? LEARN ALL ABOUT THE YEAST INFECTION MANAGEMENT HERE.
YEAST INFECTION ON THE SKIN
Our skin is crawling with a lot of bacteria and fungi that are healthy. They are protective barriers that our bodies use to fight infections and diseases and keep our immune system strong. However, when these fungi start reproducing and multiplying uncontrollably, you might develop fungal infections like a yeast infection. Yeast infections on the skin are caused by fungi called “Candida”. They grow and multiply causing the yeast infection and multiple patches of itchy rashes start developing on the skin and cause irritation. If not taken care of in time, the infection can spread throughout the body.
WHAT DO YEAST INFECTIONS LOOK LIKE?
Yeast skin infections can be hard to self-diagnose because a lot of their symptoms are similar to other skin diseases and infections, it is always better to get a medical diagnosis from a doctor before seeking treatment. Yeast infections can quickly progress into the entire body if not treated in time, so it’s important to notice early signs and seek a medical consult. Here’s how you can know if you have a yeast infection of the skin:
- Breakouts on the skin surface.
- Itchy rashes
- Pimples oozing clear pus
- Burning sensation on the skin
WHAT CAUSES YEAST INFECTIONS?
People can contract yeast infections for a lot of different reasons. It also depends on their age and medical history. Recurrent yeast infections can be caused by bodily dysfunction, not receiving proper medical care or treatment, or diabetes. Let’s see what some of the most common causes of skin yeast infections are:
- Unhygienic lifestyle
- Weak immune system
- Favourable conditions for yeast to grow like humidity
- Overusing antibiotics
- Physical contact with an infected person
IS THERE ANY WAY TO PREVENT YEAST INFECTION ON THE SKIN?
Yeast infections can be prevented by making small and impactful changes in your lifestyle, proper precautions can keep you safe from fungal infections of any kind including yeast skin infections. Here are some precautions that can prevent yeast infections:
- Maintaining proper hygiene is the most important precaution to take if you want to be safe from yeast infections. Poor hygiene will enable fungi to multiply quickly.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes or apparel that makes you swelter.
- Do not let your skin be damp, always dry your skin thoroughly and immediately remove excess water.
- Consume healthy amounts of probiotics that can help the fungi to be under control.
- Avoid consuming antibiotics unless necessary.
- Monitor your blood sugar and reduce consumption of sugar and processed food as yeast feed on sugar.
YEAST INFECTION ON SKIN HOME REMEDIES
Before seeking any treatment, it is better to have a medical diagnosis so you can continue the treatment if needed. Yeast infections on the skin are very easy to treat if proper hygiene is maintained and you take care of your health. There are many effective home remedies that you can use to treat your skin yeast infection at home. Here are some home remedies to treat yeast infections:
- Vitamin C: Increasing your Vitamin C intake by taking supplements or citrus fruits can boost your immunity and help your body regain its natural balance.
- Yoghurt: Yoghurt contains live bacteria which boosts immunity and can help your body control the overgrowing of fungi. Consuming yoghurt can help your body fight fungal infections.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera has anti-inflammation and soothing properties that can be used on affected areas for relief.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint essential oil has very strong anti-bacterial and antifungal properties that can remove yeast infections quickly. Diluting peppermint oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil is safe to be applied to affected areas. Peppermint oil droplets can be used in bathes as well.
- Neem: Neem is naturally an immune booster and anti-fungal and anti-bacterial herb, applying its paste to affected areas can soothe and reduce redness and itchiness.
- Lemongrass oil: Lemongrass oil has antifungal properties that can be helpful for the skin.
- Lemon: Lemon juice has antiseptic and antifungal properties that can stop the growth of yeast infection. Drinking and applying lemon juice with honey can ease your skin.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Apply turmeric paste on affected areas to calm itchiness and redness.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree is an essential oil that has antimicrobial and antifungal functions too.
Yeast infection on the skin is a common kind of fungal infection and you can prevent contraction using various methods like maintaining good hygiene and eating probiotics. Self-diagnosis can be incorrect so always get a medical consult before seeking home remedies.
We hope this article proved to be helpful to you and gave you an understanding of what yeast infection of the skin is.